Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Running forward, not back

Way back in June when I started this blog, I was just a part time runner trying to get back into the game post-injury by dedicating myself to a half marathon that I was definitely NOT confident I could do. Jumping from 10k to a half marathon would have been bad enough, but back then, I was barely running 5k, and was only managing to do it twice a week.

Now, 4 days from my half marathon, I have confidence I never imagined I would have. I KNOW I can finish a half marathon, and I KNOW that no matter what, I will have a PB. It might not be the lofty 2:00-2:15 goal that I wanted originally, but I have decided that having fun is more important than bringing myself down over pace and speed. I will be running with my friend M whose goal is slower than mine, but I think we will nicely meet in the middle for a decent first half marathon time. So without trying to jinx anything, here are my A, B, and C goals:

A) I'd love to go sub-2:20.

B) I know I can sub 2:30

C) If all else fails, finish in a good mood (no smiles promised, but absolutely no grumbles allowed)

I know A is lofty. I think I will realistically be around 2:25. Fingers crossed.

The other thing that has changed in my life over the past three months has been my job, my outlook on job hunting, and my strength to persevere. Three months of rejections is HARD. Three months of searching for a position that just isn't there, or is so limited that here are so many candidates to fight with is also tough. But, thanks to some love from my friends and family, I kept going. I am happy to finally say that I have taken a job at a law firm!

I don't know yet if it meets the criteria of being "a firm that I love" but I will definitely learn about it over time. That being said, it brings new challenges of balancing life as a lawyer, 2 hours of commuting a day, spending time with my family and maintaining my running. So hopefully, that drama will keep all my followers interested... ;)

Today, I will go out and complete my last decent run before the half. Am debating whether I will do the 10K that is scheduled according to my running room chart, or a shorter distance closer to 6k, just to keep my legs fresh. I don't want to push it too much. Then tonight, picking up my new-newer-old car (new to me, 2009, but used), Friday race kit pickup, Saturday pasta dinner and Sunday race!!!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent goals!! You have such a great attitude going in. You will do awesome!

    And congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to hear about it!

    Those are great goals and yeap, finishing happy is something I fully believe you will do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aim for "upright and smiling" and anything else will be icing on the cake! I went into my first 1/2 thinking that I "might" be able to do 2:30 - turned out that I was capable of a 2:17 that day. It probably helped that I didn't have any running time total or clock on my watch - just pace and km beeps. It's amazing how you can surprise yourself...

    Good luck to you and your friend on race day - I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will ROCK it!!! We have two weeks from tomorrow until our first half, and I am excited! I am hoping to finish in 2:45 or under. Can't wait to hear your race report in a few days!

    ReplyDelete